Top reasons to start playing soccer
Written by guest author N.P.Burggraaff
Soccer is a very popular sport all over the world, especially in Europe and South America. Soccer is also one of the oldest sports with the first match dating all the way back to 1004 B.C. in Japan. Over the years, soccer has gained more and more popularity. The Euro Cup, World Cup and UEFA championships are one of the biggest sports events in the world.
Soccer is also an excellent workout and a great way to boost your endurance. Below are a list of reasons why you should give soccer a try.
1. A soccer match lasts for 90 minutes. So 90 minutes of running around the field is a great aerobic exercise! Aerobic exercise prevents diseases and improves your heart health.
2. A soccer game is the equivalent of high intensity interval training. Since you will not constantly sprint across the soccer field, you will alternate between high and low heart rates. That’s a HIIT workout for you right there!
3. A soccer match will greatly boost your endurance. During an average game, you cover approximately 5.5 to 6 miles of which 2 miles are spent jogging, 1.2 miles running at regular speed and 0.6 miles are spent sprinting.
4. In need of a motivational boost? There is always someone on your team that will help you lift your spirits and get you back in the game.
5. Get fit while having fun! Is there anything more fun than hanging out with your teammates on the field improving your soccer skills? I think not!
6. While playing soccer, you are consistently improving your strength, boosting your endurance and burning fat at the same time.
7. Being active in the outdoors will help you release tension and stress.
8. It feels great to be part of a team which enables you to support each other and bring out the best in each other.
9. You can play soccer anywhere! In your backyard, the park or even a schoolyard. You’re not limited to just the soccer-field. All you need is a ball, some soccer shoes and a good attitude!
10. It is an international sport so wherever you go you can always join a soccer association or join in on the fun wherever there’s a match.
11. Having said that, it is a great way to meet new people and make new friends!
12. It’s easy to learn.
13. Soccer is not only a physical workout but it also trains your mind. It takes some real mental skills, good coordination and a sense of strategy to be a good soccer player.
14. Unlike joining a gym, joining a soccer association is inexpensive and so is soccer gear. All you need is a good pair of shoes!